Call Our Experts in Tempe to Replace an Ignition Coil in Your Volkswagenby admin March 16, 2021
Volkswagens are great vehicles to own, as they are comfortable and reliable. They were designed to last for years with proper maintenance. One important component the Volkswagen commonly encounters is ignition coil failure. When the coil fails, it will significantly impact the performance of the vehicle.
The ignition coils are important components of the engine. They transfer power from the battery to the spark plugs. A faulty ignition coil can affect the performance of your Volkswagen.
Symptoms of Ignition Coil Failure
When the ignition coil fails, there will be some obvious symptoms. Your engine will not be able to run properly. Continuing to drive with bad coils can cause damage to other components.
Common symptoms of ignition coil failure include:
- Misfires: When the ignition coil fails, it can cause a misfire. Backfires can cause damage to your engine. Engine misfires can produce a loss of power, decreased fuel economy, vibrating or a rough ride.
- Car Will Not Start: If the ignition coil completely fails, you will not be able to start your car. Without the ignition coil, the spark plugs will not get the electricity needed to ignite the fuel.
- Decreased Fuel Economy: A faulty ignition coil can cause your fuel economy to decrease. This is because your Volkswagen is burning more fuel to compensate for the insufficient transfer of electricity. There are a number of reasons you should keep track of your fuel mileage. It is a good habit to start. If you notice your car is burning more fuel have your preferred mechanic perform an inspection.
- Check Engine Light is Triggered: When your computer detects a problem, it will trigger the check engine light. The light can be illuminated by a number of different factors. If your light is on, come see us. Our expert mechanics will run a diagnostic scan to determine the cause of the light.
- Vibrations: Intense vibrations are a sign there is a problem within the engine. The vibrations can also lead to further damage.
Causes of Ignition Coil Failure
The ignition coil can fail due to four common causes:
- Insufficient Voltage Supply: If the ignition coils are getting an insufficient voltage supply, they will take longer to charge. This is often due to faulty wires or a weak battery.
- Contact Faults: Contact faults are often caused by moisture and debris build up.
- Short Circuits: An overheated ignition coil can short circuit. This often happens when it is old or faulty.
- Mechanical Damage: Mechanical damage includes valve cover gasket failure, damaged cables or leaking oil.
Does the Ignition Coil in Your Volkswagen Need Replaced
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms and are in the Tempe area, call McIlvain Motors today. All the above symptoms can be a sign that your ignition coil needs to be replaced. Our expert team of technicians will inspect your Volkswagen and determine the cause of the symptoms.
A bad ignition coil can cause severe damage to the engine. Poor maintenance can be responsible for the failure of your ignition coil. To identify the cause of the trouble, we will perform a diagnostic scan and a visual inspection.
Ignition coils are often replaced at the same time as the spark plugs. Since these two components work hand in hand, they depend on each other to be working properly. Staying current on your regular maintenance will help your technician locate any issues before they become large problems.
Schedule Your Volkswagen Ignition Coil Replacement Today
At McIlvain Motors, we will make your experience a positive one. Our highly-trained auto mechanics can diagnose your Volkswagen and get it fixed right the first time. We are proud to have the lowest labor rates in Arizona. We are positive you will be entirely satisfied with the service you receive. We even offer free Uber pickup and drop off.
Our expert mechanics are factory trained and are eager to serve all your vehicle’s service and repair needs. We service Porsche, Audi, and Volkswagen brands. Call McIlvain Motors today, to schedule your ignition coil replacement. We proudly serve drivers in Chandler, Mesa, Scottsdale and Tempe, AZ. You can reach our office on 480-993-8051 or stop in and see us at 939 S. 48th Street, Suite #215.